Integrated office services

In order to be more useful for more people, and grow in membership, I’d like to propose an integrated office solution for users and organizations.

The logic behind this proposal is that people is used to integrated solutions from the mainstream providers(they don’t see what is included in the baggage, but that is another issue). That is, when they create an account, it comes with a mail account, a calendar, some space in the cloud, some kind of document editing tool/s, even a kind of (not really portable) but usable ID.

This integration is crucial for them to keep theirselves working in their core missions, and not unfocused on the technology required to fulfill those missions.

It is our mission to provide those tools: we should focus on building it, so they can just use it.

My perception is that today, our services in their current form cater to those people and organizations that are already technology oriented or savvy. If we keep in that path, we won’t be able to give service (and a smooth transition) to many other persons and organizations that should be on more conscious and consenting technological platforms, like the one we provide.

WDYT? :slight_smile:
Best regards…

Thanks for reposting this here Eduardo. Have you used our NextCloud instance https://share.mayfirst.org ?

Our NextCloud base instance and selected apps integrate tools for file sharing, caldav/ics compatible calendar sharing, “office suite” style document editing using OnlyOffice and a number of other tools. It certainly isn’t perfect but I think it has been a major step forward as a free software package that provides basic tools for collaborative work and organizing and has become popular with a lot of our members.

We intentionally have not integrated a NextCloud e-mail client. We still prefer to run that as a separate service via https://roundcube.mayfirst.org or via your own dedicated e-mail app/client. You can use your same username and e-mail client to connect to our services.

I am curious what integrated functionality you think is missing and would be useful in our services.

Yes, I do use it a lot. :slight_smile:

Our NextCloud base instance and selected apps integrate tools for file sharing, caldav/ics compatible calendar sharing, “office suite” style document editing using OnlyOffice and a number of other tools. It certainly isn’t perfect but I think it has been a major step forward as a free software package that provides basic tools for collaborative work and organizing and has become popular with a lot of our members.

It totally is. But I missed the Only Office part, where do I see it?

We intentionally have not integrated a NextCloud e-mail client. We still prefer to run that as a separate service […]

That’s ok with me. :+1:

I am curious what integrated functionality you think is missing and would be useful in our services.

Exactly the one I didn’t saw, the collaborative documents suite.
BTW, for myself I prefer other solutions, but I know I represent a vast… minority of the general people. ;D

Also, the other part of the solution is a simple to set up (maybe guided) solution for our mobile computers. I had to install and configure a different mail client (Fairemail), the nextcloud client, set up davx5, then change (and buy) the default calendar (Google) app by other more standard compatible (Acalendar+), etc.

We should give a complete package for that so people can say “I move to Mayfirst, dedicate a couple hours and I’m ready to keep on working without loosing funcionality”.

Or those are my 1.5 cents ideas… :sweat_smile:

When you are in the files app of the Nextcloud web interface https://share.mayfirst.org/apps/files/ click the ‘+’ sign at the top of the page to create a new Document,Spreadsheet or Presentation.

I agree that a more comprehensive tutorial and walkthrough of using our services on Android and iPhone would be helpful. I was able to configure the default e-mail and calendar app on my LineageOS compatible phone but I don’t think many members will be using that.

Ha! Thanks a lot, it’s almost hidden… I never saw it before. :slight_smile:

I will try it, thanks a lot.

In the meantime, I’d like to know how many members are in the same position as me 2 minutes ago… without knowing that we have this possibility already working here.

I believe this is a key point. I started with usability tests in 1994, and based on my experience, our required configuration is almost out of reach of people who doesn’t work in tech.

Just an an example, I added the shared mayfirst calendar in my calendars. But after some time, it didn’t appear in my phone. So I started to look…

Mhm… It doesn’t appear in the acalandar+ app. Ah! But DAVx5 connects them… let’s look at it.

I don’t see it here… Aha! If I go into this user card, it appears in this tab, let’s select it.

What? I need yet another app just to sync this calendar? Ok, ok… Ops, in the google play store it’s a couple dollars but I don’t know if it’s what I need.

Wait, but I use F-droid, let’s seeeeee… Yes, I can install and test it without paying from here (after that, I can donate to the people in Bitfire, but let’s test 1st if it works for me).

Install… nothing yet.

Going back to DAVx5. Now I can check the calendar.

Going back to acalendar+. Now it appears. Yesss, it syncs!

Now I can see the mayfirst events.

See what I mean? :sweat_smile: :wink:

1 Like

I agree. :grinning: And thanks for wrestling with NextCloud upgrade Jamie :clap:

However, navigating NextCloud in the web interface can be a bit klunky - navigation thro the file hierarchy isn’t slick, like with the filing systems many of us are used to on desktop/laptops. And personally I’m not convinced that a wordprocessor - OnlyOffice - is essential. Markdown docs work pretty well for many purposes? The difference is, Markdown docs can be edited on your own device, via the NextCloud sync. And they can be navigated locally on your own device, using the computer’s filing system, like ‘normal’ local docs. The whole workflow can be smoother.

Although . . editing Markdown can itself seem like a tech hurdle for folks who first encounter it?

So . . maybe this is another instance of the basic point @mercovich is making . . For more tech-comfortable folks using laptops/desktops, it’s possible to evolve such improved, fluid routines and workflows, operating across our local device and the cloud. But for less tech-inclined folks, it’s maybe a step too far? On that basis, I remain to be convinced that NextCloud has the answers for less-tech folks, especially those using mobile devices. But like @jamie says . .

comprehensive tutorial and walkthrough of using our services on Android and iPhone would be helpful

I guess it needs somebody to go to work on the whole issue of users who depend only on phones? Folks in poverty, folks in the global-South, non-geeks . . etc. Meanwhile . . maybe tutorials on the NextCloud suite in Android/iPhone environments are a priority?