Interview on movement technology

Hi all - I just read a thoughtful interview on how to build software with movements - it uses some language and concepts that were new to me. I particularly like the answer to the question “You developed an open source software for an organization working with indigenous peoples. What are the main challenges you see today in the field of development of open source projects within organizations of environmental justice?”

https://techforforests.org/free-software-sustainability-and-social-movements/

1 Like

Thoughtful response in the interview - I’d love to have those conversations in relation to Last Tree Laws’ work. One thing that crosses my mind is how insular education has become and how far from alternative ideas in all arenas, including tech. It seems like open source is completely excluded from non-technological education. Also, college student interns in the technology field seem to be scooped by big tech instead of considering open source projects or progressive movements. I may be wrong, but looking at college student resumes in the tech field I just don’t see alternative ideas.

I am not sure how other than reaching out to colleges, but it seems like May First probably would be a good organization to contact colleges for interns so as to provide students with an alternative to Microsoft etc.

The obsolescence spoke to me as well. I noticed the conversations on preferring Roundcube over Horde because Horde seems to lack support, but Roundcube is missing some things that Horde has that are useful. I may be wrong here, but it seems like only Horde is able to set up lists or email groups, and only Horde has a calendar. There are many open source projects that are decent but never seem to have enough support. I’d actually read, the other day, some criticism of the linux kernel that was concerning. The idea was that updates in linux for anything give access to the entire kernel, whereas commercial products have set up barriers so that updates for specific products are segregated as appropriate - the argument was against linux on that basis.