MayFirst as BigBlueButton server?

Hi,

I am just curious, just hypothetically, what would it be like to host BigBlueButton using mayfirst servers? Just for this thought experiment, all we need is the raw sever - all software aspects will be handled by the operator (for example, meet.coop)

Would the cost be anything comparable to :

Cheers :slight_smile:
Yasu

1 Like

Hi Yasuaki,

I’m not sure what it would be like.

It would not be hard for us to allocate a virtual server. We generally ask our members to contribute anywhere from $50 to $300 per month to help cover that cost.

However a “raw” (which I understand to mean bare metal) server is another story.

Although we have a few legacy members who have their own hardware in our cabinet, we general discourage it because our electricity and space in our cabinet is at a premium and we are nearly maxed out at the moment.

The staff has also started considering expanding to other locations as a way of growing our servers but we have not yet reached a consensus on enough of it to put together a proposal.

1 Like

BBB is a bit of a bear to host, resource-wise.

If at all possible, I’d encourage people (or co-ops!) to join https://meet.coop and hop on that effort; they already have some nice dedicated hardware lined up.

1 Like

Thank you for your replies - I am from meet.coop :grinning: and recently one of our “paint points” that emerged is the cost effective and responsive server allocation on demand.

As a startup coop,I am not sure what our ultimate focus should be - it could be that we should focus on software customization, event planning, etc and “outsource” the server operations - but then again why should we bother to have a coop??

There are also other potential hosting demands for many other services - I have been brainstorming with large worker coops in Japan.

Maybe we should all get together and do some brainstorming as well on what kind of ICT ecosystem we envision? :smile:

1 Like

One option is that we could become organizational members of meet.coop, a new European cooperative that provides BBB service. Another co-op I’m a member of, Social.coop, is exploring this kind of membership to allow its members to use meet.coop’s service.

Oh sorry, I didn’t see that @yasuaki had already posted on this!